What to Expect
Congratulations! You have taken the first steps on the journey to the smile of your dreams!
Here's a list of what you can expect when you get your braces on or your aligners delivered at Khara Orthodontics.
Traditional Metal or Ceramic Braces
- Your teeth will be sore for the first two to three days, this is normal. Take Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed. Make sure to eat soft foods during this period (Mashed potatoes, Ice Cream, Applesauce, Soup, Yogurt, etc.)
- Be sure to follow the NO FOODS LIST which includes staying away from anything HARD or CRUNCHY! Sugar free gum is okay to chew but NO BUBBLE GUM! Eating these types of foods can and will result in breaking brackets and distorting your wires. This will result in delaying your treatment and could cause you to be in braces longer.
- If you notice that a bracket has broken, feels loose, wire is poking, please contact our office as soon as possible! Our staff will assess the situation and determine if a repair appointment is needed. In the meantime, you can use the wax (given to you at initial bonding) to cover the bracket or wire to make it comfortable.
- Make sure that you are brushing and flossing thoroughly and correctly. Brushing 3 times per day (morning/after lunch/night) and flossing before bed is a must. Also, it is important to continue seeing your general dentist regularly for routine cleanings and maintenance. Failure to do so will result in permanent staining o teeth, cavities, painful swollen gums and possible removal of braces if too severe. We will check your brushing and flossing at every appointment. Please brush your teeth at our tooth brushing stations before your appointment.
- We will see you every 6-8 weeks for regular orthodontic adjustments. We encourage parents to be present for all appointments. This will allow us to discuss how treatment is going and go over any questions or concerns you may have.
- If you are given elastics, it is extremely important that they are to be worn day and night unless otherwise directed. If worn as directed, this could mean less time in braces.
- Most people experience soreness for a few days after starting each new stage. Soreness is a sign that the aligners are working and moving your teeth to their final destination. This soreness should gradually go away after a couple days of inserting the new aligner in the series.
- Unlike traditional braces, you can eat and drink whatever you desire because you remove your aligners while eating. There is no need to restrict your consumption of any of your favorite foods and snacks.
- You may not eat or drink anything other than water while your aligners are inserted. This is to avoid the formation of cavities,staining, or warping of the aligners due to hot heat.
- NO gum chewing while aligners are inserted!
- We discourage the use of tobacco while aligners are inserted.
- If you lose or break an aligner, you should call our office immediately! Most likely, we will advise you to to start wearing your previous set of aligners until a new aligner can be ordered. Aligners usually take a few days to be ordered/shipped/ and arrive in office.
- If you break or lose an attachment, contact our office. Our staff member will assess the situation and inform you on what your next steps should be.
Please feel free to contact our office for any questions or concerns that you may have. 919-577-9009